Discovering Your Self-Worth Despite Challenging Circumstances
Do you feel overwhelmed and frustrated much of the time? Success is available to you despite challenging circumstances. It’s important to remember, also, that your self-worth is not defined by your circumstances.
If you look at a challenging circumstance as a wall that’s impossible to climb, you need a fresh perspective. Within you is everything you need to thrive and excel.
Use these strategies to maintain a positive self-worth, regardless of your circumstances:
- Find the cause. What is the cause of the circumstance in your life? Sometimes, limiting beliefs can serve as warning signs that help you avoid danger.
- If the cause of your situation is unclear, ask friends and family for their input. Others see your life from a different perspective, and their input can be valuable in determining the root of your difficulty.
- Get past the blame game. You can often be your own worst critic. Fortunately, negative self-talk often has very little basis in reality. Choose to replace the doubts of your inner critic with more productive thinking.
- Once a negative thought has taught you its intended lesson, it has served its purpose. If you choose to hold onto those negative thoughts, they will begin to form a negative self-image in your mind.
- Instead of dwelling on negative thoughts about your circumstances, learn the lesson and resolve to move on. Then, when negative thoughts enter your mind, choose to replace your self-talk with productive thoughts instead.
- Cut yourself some slack. Recognize that you’re human. Everyone makes mistakes, but your attitude determines your altitude in life. Your value is not defined by your predicament. You have worth despite your mistake. Your circumstances simply provide feedback and an opportunity to learn and grow.
- Make the most of it. Stumbling blocks you face can become stepping stones to the success you deserve, simply by changing what you focus on.
- Instead of feeling helpless, ask yourself: “What’s great about this?” Every situation provides something of value if you look for it.
- Ask for help. Loved ones and friends often see strengths in you that go without notice. Ask them what they believe your strengths are. This is where your self-worth is found. Everyone has something of value to contribute.
- Once you recognize your unique talents, gifts, and abilities, you’ll see life in a whole new way. You’ll gain confidence that comes from conquering challenges that once made you cringe.
- Live one day at a time. Despite your best efforts, some days simply provide one frustration after another. When this happens, you have a choice. You can let your circumstances defeat you, or you can choose a more positive perspective.
Resolve today to find your strengths, learn from your difficult circumstances, and experience the joy you were created to experience. Instead of tying your self-worth to your circumstances, choose to see things as they really are. You were created with unique talents and gifts. When you find those gifts within yourself and put them to use, you’ll know how valuable you truly are.